About abaqus input decks

Hi All,
I’m Jun from China. It’s very nice to be here.
Currently I tried to run Abaqus input decks by using Calculix. I have met pains that the jobs was killed automatically without any errors messages. I 'm using the ccx2.17 solver. Could you please share any tips about Abaqus input decks? I tried to upload the model, but unsucceeded.

Some Abaqus cards (commands) are not 100% equivalent to CalculiX ones. Can you share your input file, so we can make some comments on that.

1 Like

Hello Sergio,

The inp file was sent via calculix@discoursemail.com. Please have a check.

Hello Sergio,
The mail sending my inp file via calculix@discoursemail.com was returned. Sorry.
Can you tell me how I share my file?

Hi @simright, you could use https://pastebin.com/ or something like that.

Hello @jbr @SergioP ,
Please download the inp file at https://pan.baidu.com/s/1KP6Ebkl-e8EuTjrW8w-SGQ
password:izqh

Due to more than 80M, it is very difficult to copy/paste its contents on the pastebin.
For any issue, please be free to let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Jun

@simright , it is not possible (at least for me) to download the file, the link point to a Chinese site very hard to understand. Could you use a sharing site in English please (don’t take my request as disrespectful).

Try to zip the input deck, as it is a text file should decrease its size significantly after zipping.

Dear Jun,

CalculiX and Abaqus are absolutely different solvers supporting different sets of keywords. Here are keywords for both - please, compare:

For example, latest Abaqus supports 566 keywords, while CalculiX 2.17 - only 131.

So you have to apply much effort to adopt your Abaqus model to the CalculiX deck. It would be less difficult if you’re using simple procedure type, simple boundary conditions, simple constraints etc. But mesh (nodes, elements, sets and surfaces) should be understood by CalculiX as is.

Please, consider using this tool to adopt Abaqus model to CalculiX:

Latest commit will open your model except Abaqus specific keywords. Warnings will be emitted for each of unknown keywords.

Good luck!

1 Like

@SergioP ,Thanks for your kind reminder. Please download the inp file at https://www.fatbear.site/file/Job900N_0514.zip.
Hope it works. For any issues please let me know.
Jun

Dear Imirzov,

Thank you very much for your kind tips. I will have a try.

Jun

Abruptly exiting without an error message commonly happens if it’s out of memory for the solver (even if the computer has enough). Try a model with fewer nodes or one of the other solvers like PARDISO that can use more memory.

I noticed in the formal CCX_2.17.pdf that the following solvers could be selected: SGI,
PaStiX, PARDISO, SPOOLES and TAUCS. I tried all, but not succeeded. Is there any knowhow?

BTW, probably how many nodes can the default CCX solver support in a model? So far I can run a model with about 300,000nodes + 200,000elements.

hi, the model runs but with errors, you need to “convert” it from Abaqus to CCX. In addition it has 1.5M equations, the manual states that for 1M eq you need at least 32GB RAM so do your maths…

CalculiX Version 2.17, Copyright(C) 1998-2020 Guido Dhondt
CalculiX comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free
software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions, see gpl.htm

You are using an executable made on viernes, 29 de enero de 2021, 12:30:45 CET

The numbers below are estimated upper bounds

number of:

nodes:       738734
   elements:       590676
   one-dimensional elements:            0
   two-dimensional elements:            0
   integration points per element:            4
   degrees of freedom per node:            3
   layers per element:            1

distributed facial loads:          338
   distributed volumetric loads:            0
   concentrated loads:            0
   single point constraints:         7926
   multiple point constraints:            1
   terms in all multiple point constraints:            1
   tie constraints:            4
   dependent nodes tied by cyclic constraints:            0
   dependent nodes in pre-tension constraints:            0

sets:           43
   terms in all sets:       631767

materials:            3
   constants per material and temperature:            2
   temperature points per material:            1
   plastic data points per material:            0

orientations:            0
   amplitudes:            2
   data points in all amplitudes:            2
   print requests:            0
   transformations:            0
   property cards:            0

*WARNING reading *TIE: parameter not recognized:
      TYPE=SURFACETOSURFACE
 *WARNING reading *TIE. Card image:
      *TIE,NAME=BLOCK_OBJ,POSITIONTOLERANCE=1.00E-03,ADJUST=NO,TYPE=SURFACETOSURFACE

TYPE=SURFACETOSURFACE
      *TIE,NAME=OBJ_FIXTURE,POSITIONTOLERANCE=1.00E-03,ADJUST=NO,TYPE=SURFACETOSURFACE

TYPE=SURFACETOSURFACE
      *TIE,NAME=FIX_PAD,POSITIONTOLERANCE=1.00E-03,ADJUST=NO,TYPE=SURFACETOSURFACE

TYPE=SURFACETOSURFACE
      *TIE,NAME=OBJ_PAD,POSITIONTOLERANCE=1.00E-03,ADJUST=NO,TYPE=SURFACETOSURFACE

*WARNING reading *NODE FILE or *EL FILE:
      parameter not recognized:
      FIELD
 *WARNING reading *OUTPUT . Card image:
      *OUTPUT,FIELD

STEP            1

Static analysis was selected

*INFO in gentiedmpc:
   failed nodes (if any) are stored in file
   WarnNodeMissTiedContact.nam
   This file can be loaded into
   an active cgx-session by typing
   read WarnNodeMissTiedContact.nam inp

*WARNING in gentiedmpc: no tied MPC
      generated for node       417710
      no corresponding master face
      found; tolerance:    2.2858367366769836E-003
 *WARNING in gentiedmpc: no tied MPC
      generated for node       417711
      no corresponding master face
      found; tolerance:    2.2858367366769836E-003

Hi Jun, welcome!

I have run models with 350k nodes using the PARDISO SOLVER.

The binary from the website contains only the SPOOLES solver.

The fastest one is the the PastiX solver, but is complicated to put to run. You will need to compile your own CCX.

A mid alternative is the Pardiso Solver, which has a variant for free coming from Intel. This one you would also need to compile, but in Ubuntu Linux (for example) it is quite easy to get running.

the warnings raised shouldn’t prevent the job to run…so I guess the issue is that you just ran out of memory. I guess you can do a better job meshing your model especially considering you are using hypermesh and decrease the number of dof’s without losing fidelity.

1 Like

@JuanP74 I have run the model in HPC with enough RAMs and CPUs. After running about 40 minutes, it was killed automatically with no errors. The same warnings raised in your last reply. So I wonder whether ccx cannot support large nodes model.

@carlomontec
Hello Carlomontec,
Thank you for your proposal.
For the PastiX solver on CCX, could your share the way in detail?

Best regards,
Jun

@JuanP74
Do you get the normal termination?
Your mentioned that the convert tool which is from Abaqus to CCX. Could you share more information about it?

Jun

my computer has less than 32GB so I stopped the run when it started to factorize the matrix because I knew it couldn’t complete the run.
Being CCX keywords mostly a subset of Abaqus’ I meant manual “conversion” (in the preprocessor avoid keywords/parameters not available in ccx). In this particular instance only *TIE cards and *OUTPUT need to be modified, I modified and all input deck warnings disappeared.
OUTPUT card usually need modifications since ccx output file is very different (.frd) but this is easily done by hand.

1 Like