User subroutines in Calculix using Windows

Hi

I am new to Calculix but an experienced user of ABAQUS. I downloaded Calculix together with Prepomax pre and post-processing software and used it with no problem with some example problems. I want to work with some user subroutines and as far as I know you have to re-compile the ccx solver in order to use your own user subroutines. Does anyone have any hints on how to compile Calculix step by step on Windows?

Thanks in advance

To use subroutines you have to replace the dummy ones in the CalculiX source code with yours and then compile. Here you will find some instructions regarding compilation: Guide to compile CalculiX

Many thanks for your response. However, the guide you mention (correct me if I am wrong) is focused on a Linux environment. Is there any similar guide to compile it on Windows environment?

Check the README_Install file provided in the package with Windows distribution: http://www.dhondt.de/calculix_2.20_4win.zip

Where can I find these dummy subroutines on Windows machine? I do not see these dummy files in my distribution.

They are available among the source code files. For example: src/umat.f

After downloading a different distribution from Download bConverged I am able to find the files. But it looks like I need to compile the subroutine after changing it in src/umat.f. Can you tell me, how to move forward from here?

Thank you,
Guru

I would suggest you install ccx from the source if you are going to be playing around with user subroutines. There are a ton of things to learn, but it would at least give you some sense of what to do.

http://www.dhondt.de/ccx_2.21.README.INSTALL

Thank you for responding.
Looks like those instructions are for Linux environment. I’m using CalculiX in Windows, are there instructions for Windows as well? or Do you think subroutines work only for Linux environment?

Thanks,
Guru

If you are going to deal with subroutines, you better switch to Linux. If you have Windows 10 or 11, you can install the latest Ubuntu almost natively using wsl2- that’s what I use all the time, rather than virtual machines or dual boots. It should be almost painless to install wsl2 and then follow the instructions I linked above. Once you compile from source successfully, post again I could help you more.

2 Likes