T-Join simulation

As you can see when the first welding seam cooled vertical plate rotates at some angle. When second welding seam is applied it bends the horizontal plate while getting cooled down. I do not understand how to tell CalculiX when horizontal and vertical plates surfaces meet they can’t penetrate each other. Though I am aware there is Contact pair card. Pressure at contact area is not required.

The most common approach is to use contact between those perpendicular plates:

Simulation-5B-300x293

Source: Modeling Welds for Finite Element Analysis (FEA) | Apollo Engineering

I do not see any answer to my problem. But thank you for the link.

Why don’t you want to use contact for that connection ? Another option would be to apply tie constraint.

Because I do not know how to use contact for the connection yet. I do not know how to apply tie constraint as well. Why do not you write what you mentioned as input file examples.

It depends on which preprocessor you are using but the usual keyword syntax to define contact is as follows:

*SURFACE INTERACTION, NAME=interaction_name
*SURFACE BEHAVIOR, PRESSURE-OVERCLOSURE=HARD
*CONTACT PAIR, INTERATION=interaction_name, TYPE=SURFACE TO SURFACE
slave_surface_name, master_surface_name

For tie constraint it’s just:

*TIE, NAME=tie_constraint_name
slave_surface_name, master_surface_name

Of course, you must first define two surfaces using the *SURFACE keyword. The preprocessor of your choice will help you with that.

If you need complete examples, check the documentation and input files referenced there and this GitHub repository: GitHub - calculix/CalculiX-Examples: CalculiX examples by Prof. Martin Kraska from Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences. Excellent starting point to master parametric modelling with CGX and CCX.

Thank you, I will try to find some time to try it tomorrow.

it seems not only related to seam weld models, a screenshot and problem description shown the bottom plates become goes up due to second step of welding process.

this phenomena also called welding distortion and residual stress in thermo-mechanical analysis of manufacturing.

simplified example can be found here or another complex ones.