Running Multiple Load Cases via *INCLUDE

Hey all,

I’m needing to run an analysis with multiple load cases. I think the best process here is to write an input file manually, and use the *INCLUDE function to add the mesh (created in PrePoMax). Are there any resources out there on the best way to do this? What should this .inp look like?

Is there a way to automatically run all these load cases sequentially (assuming the runs are nonlinear?) Basically, run a batch analysis, where it solves step 1, then resets and solves step 2, and saves the results for each step.

I’ve taken a look at the documentation for batch analysis, but it’s pretty vague for someone who isn’t used to ABAQUS syntax.

Any guidance here would be appreciated!

The *INCLUDE keyword is really easy to use. Just add this to your input file in the section where keywords contained in the external file should be located:

*INCLUDE, INPUT=filepath

sorry for not being more explicit with my questions… I think I get this part. The issues I’m running into are:

1. How can I run a calculix analysis via command line? I don’t use cgx, so I will need to start my analysis by calling the .inp file from the windows command line to make this work (or download cgx so I can use the built in command prompt)?
  2. If running a nonlinear analysis with multiple load cases, does just calling out a new *STEP work? My experience with running nonlinear cases tells me that the step 2 will just start where step 1 ended, which can cause convergence problems. Basically, do I need to do anything special to force step 2 to start reset from time=0?

Thanks!

Place the input file in the same folder as CalculiX executable, open the command line and enter ccx_static input_file_name.

If the analysis is nonlinear and involves e.g. plasticity then indeed it might be a problem because the second step will start from where the first one finished. So for nonlinear analyses, it’s better to run separate jobs. If initial steps repeat, you can use the restart functionality so that you don’t have to recalculate common steps for each case.

1 Like