WARNING: No check was performed for elements in set:-NOCHECK

Background

I’m using CalculiX CrunchiX to do finite element analysis. My input model consists of tetrahedal elements. To visualize, I run cgx -c myfile.inp command. Then, I use these menu items to check for bad elements:

Viewing > Show Bad Elements

But, CGX logs this:

WARNING: No check was performed for elements in set:-NOCHECK

Question

Why no check is done on bad elements? How can I force double-checking of bad elements?

inp file

This is my inp file, for reference:

** Structure: finite elements of a 3D model.
** Generated by: https://github.com/deadsy/sdfx
*HEADING
Model: 3D model Date: 2023-May-29 UTC
*NODE
*INCLUDE,INPUT=teapot-tet4.inp.nodes
*ELEMENT, TYPE=C3D4, ELSET=Eall
*INCLUDE,INPUT=teapot-tet4.inp.elements
*BOUNDARY
*INCLUDE,INPUT=teapot-tet4.inp.boundary
*MATERIAL, name=resin
*ELASTIC,TYPE=ISO
9.000000e+02,3.000000e-01,0
*DENSITY
1.250000e-09
*SOLID SECTION,MATERIAL=resin,ELSET=Eall
*STEP
*STATIC
*DLOAD
Eall,GRAV,9810.,0.,0.,1.
*EL FILE
S
*NODE FILE
U
*END STEP

Note

Adding these to inp file didn’t help, they are not recognized at all:

*ETYPE,CHECK        
*CHECK,Reduced Integration

Note again

Adding these to inp file didn’t help. 339439 is total element count:

*ELSET, ELSET=ECheck, GENERATE
1, 339439

Did it means to do mesh quality checking e.g jacobian determinant, aspect ratio and corner angle?

Usually it use ‘eqal’ and ‘plot eq’ commands, but i did not know it also possible to do in menu of graphic areas.

1 Like

Yes, specifically, I want to see which elements have non-positive Jacobian due to errors like this:

*ERROR in e_c3d: nonpositive jacobian
determinant in element 209775

How can I use eqal and plot eq commands? I mean, what should I exactly write down on the command line?

It seems linear tetrahedral is not supported, try convert to quadratic first with ‘mids all gen’ commands and use another below.

eqal jbir 0.01

Then

plot eq all

I’m not in front of pc/laptop for now, only try to remember i previously done. More detail can be found in official documentation.

1 Like

That’s right. The tet4 elements are not supported by Show Bad Elements menu tool, but tet10 is supported for Jacobian check only:

Eventually, I converted my elements from C3D4 i.e. 4-node tetrahedral to C3D10 i.e. 10-node tetrahedral elements.

Now the bad elements are shown just fine:

1 Like