Understanding Shell Elements and Thickness Assignment

there is a different, if the beam is 10x1x0.5 or 10x10x0.5
for the beam properties according to Bernoullie:
The beam is slender: its length is much greater than its cross-sectional dimensions.

Also, do you think I could use a DLOAD on the node set to get similar results? I tried generating a distributed file with CGX using the following command:
“send load abq pres 10.0”

Using “send load abq pres 10” is only possible, if your set “load” includes faces of elements.
the pressure is applied orthogonal to the surface. check with prnt se
example: f:8
31 pres stat:c n:17 e:0 f:8 p:2 l:1 c:0 s:0 b:0 L:0 S:0 se:0 sh:0 v:0
for your beam in vertical direction, you need a workaround
another possibilty is to use selfweight of the beam with
*DENSITY
7.86E-9
*DLOAD
Eall,GRAV,9810,1,0,0

please check the manual for further information

what do you want for result ? what is your result?
wbr

@dichtstoff, this was very helpful. Thank you!

Oh I see. I must have faces in order to apply a distributed load. Is their no way that I could apply a distributed load on a node set rather than element sets?

The reason I ask is because I want to be able to use this for fluid structure interaction using preCICE which can only identify node sets from ccx.

From what I can tell, a concentrated load depends on the number of nodes on the surface which might give me a hard time when I am using ccx for a more complex geometry with a fine mesh and curved surfaces. This is why DLOAD seemed like a more feasible option however, I could obviously be wrong.

If I use self-weight, like you mentioned, wouldn’t that be distributed over the entire beam?

Oh I see. I must have faces in order to apply a distributed load. Is their no way that I could apply a distributed load on a node set rather than element sets?

you need a workaround for these.
one possibility is, that you apply a distributed load with a tool like:
*RIGID BODY
or
*DISTRIBUTING COUPLING
or
*DLOAD
or
*COUPLING

but i would be carefully with these, it could influence your calculation / result.
better would be to apply the distributed load on a node set with a tool,
read out the node forces and if necessary change direction
and use in your calc. with *CLOAD.

in your example beam with shell elements, i would apply force 1 on nodes,
or on set of nodes,
check the result and multiply with factor to get the real load.