Spring as flexible support to constrain a node

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a zero-length spring and use it instead of a rigid support?. I want to constraint a node with a flexible support but idk how to do it.

I came up with a rigid approach as shown below:

** Boundary conditions +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*Boundary, op=New
** Name: Node_support
*Boundary, Fixed
930, 3, 3

What do you mean by this? Like, if node 1 and node 2 of the spring are in the same x,y,z coordinates?

1 Like

Yes exactly , in some FEA software you can create a conector/zero length element to create an constraint between a Master node and slave node , when the coordinates of the two node are the same you can associate the stiffness of the spring or any assigned material with a degree of freedom. In that way you can create hinges , releases , flexible supports or assign rotational stiffness to the 4,5 and 6 DOF.
I want to Constraint a node with a flexible supports modeled by Force/deformation relationship "K (kN/m) "

Sure, I’ve used that in the past in other FEA packages. I haven’t tried it on ccx but I’m not sure if there are any restrictions. Look at pages 138-139 of the manual, there are different spring elements. Maybe one of those is suitable for your goal.

Thanks for your help jbr :slight_smile: , “SPRING1” looks promising

1 Like

You are very welcome.

I thought so too. Maybe when you get it working you could share a minimal working example for future reference :slight_smile:.

1 Like