Specifying dependencies of material properties to a defined field

Dear all,

I’m used to creating dependencies on some material properties in Abaqus (via the use of USDFLD routine).
It seems to me that, apart from the temperature, this is not possible in CalculiX.
Could you confirm this statement? And if it so are there other ways to define material parameters as dependent of fields that are calculated in a UMAT routine for instance.

Regards

Vincent

In some cases, the lack of user-defined field variables in CalculiX can be bypassed. Assuming that you don’t need the actual temperature dependency (and don’t perform a thermomechanical analysis), you can use it to define the dependency of material properties on a different variable that will only be called temperature. Then just apply those “temperatures” to the model via the *TEMPERATURE keyword. We even use this approach in Abaqus sometimes, to define the spatial variation of elastic properties without having to code the whole USDFLD subroutine.

In more advanced cases, UMAT subroutine should help.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
In my case, unfortunately, I also need the temperature. It is a simulation of the curing of an epoxy resin. So that the elastic moduli depend on both temperature and the degree of cure.
So if I understand correctly, I need to code this additional decency in the UMAT. Is that correct?
Regards
Vincent

1 Like

That’s right, I’m afraid that in this case UMAT is the only option.

Yes, I think that would be your best course of action.