Restart fails with error

Hello
I am running a dynamic case with ccx and I ran the first bit successfully and generated a .rout file.
I then changed the .rout file to a .rin file and then changed my .inp file to read the .rin file but this gives the following error:

*ERROR reading *ELEMENT: element 1
is already defined

*ERROR reading *ELEMENT. Card image:

*ERROR reading *NSET/ELSET: *NSET/*ELSET should be placed
before all step definitions
*ERROR reading *MATERIAL: *MATERIAL should be placed
*INFO reading *HYPERELASTIC: nonlinear geometric
effects are turned on

*ERROR reading *HYPERELASTIC: *HYPERELASTIC should be
placed before all step definitions
*ERROR reading *DENSITY: *DENSITY should be placed
*ERROR reading *SOLID SECTION: *SOLID SECTION
should be placed before all step definitions
*WARNING reading *DYNAMIC: parameter not recognized:
NLGEOM
*WARNING reading *DYNAMIC. Card image:
*DYNAMIC,DIRECT,NLGEOM

STEP 2

Dynamic analysis was selected

Nonlinear material laws are taken into account

Newton-Raphson iterative procedure is active

Nonlinear geometric effects are taken into account

*ERROR in calinput: at least one fatal
error message while reading the
input deck: CalculiX stops.

Please find attached my initial .inp file for the 1st run vs the second run and the .rin file as well.

Would appreciate any help.

You have to set access to “Anyone with the link” before pasting the link here.

It seems that you are trying to use restart with the same (full) input deck. Restart input file should only contain the *RESTART, READ keyword (as the first keyword in the input file) and step definitions for the new part of the analysis.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/165mMY_HOJwXnFkvvo0cqLkyvGCazBDfd?usp=sharing

So sorry. Does this one work?

Yes. Just remove everything before *RESTART, READ from the second input file and it should work.

Ok great!
Do I need to modify the mesh to the deformed shape or will it automatically start from the deformed geometry?

You shouldn’t (or even can’t) modify this. Only steps and their features can be added. No mesh/material changes and so on. The analysis will automatically take the state of the model from the specified restart point.

Got it!
Thank you so much!
Just curious, if I run a first part of the solid case and then take the deformed geometry from that step and recreate a new case would it be equivalent to running the first bit but with a .rin?
Wondering because sometimes, if the case fails before completion, then no .rin file is produced, but I do have the case reach up to a certain desired deformation.

If you export the deformed mesh, you can use it in a subsequent analysis but you won’t have the material state (stresses and strains). That’s why Abaqus has a very useful import feature. You can e.g. simulate metal forming and then take this deformed part with its material state to a subsequent spring-back analysis (or just apply some operational loading).