Calculix for deep drawing analysis

Hi,
I want to do deep drawing simulation of a rotationally non symmetrical part. Would it be advisable to use calculix with Prepomax or Ansys or better some other programm ? Is Calculix good for such analysis ?

Thanks !

Well, that’s an unexpected set of options! Ansys is one of the most complete commercial software available for many types of engineering fields, therefore is very expensive. CalculiX (and some of its pre/post processors such as PrePoMax) is open-source and limited in many analysis types… so it depends on what you want to achieve in your analysis, how much money you want to spend and how much time you have to set the problem.

I’m not familiar with your part (maybe you could share it?), but I know some analyses regarding stamping processes were discussed in this forum, such as this:

And some interesting forming analysis in Martin Kraska examples

Look at OpenRadioss as well, it has interesting capabilities for such analysis and is now open source.

i’m not tried yet, but it seems a complex analysis since large plasticity and distorted part occurs. Probably, a proper element selection such as linear hexahedral (reduced) and material laws with MFront can achieve result better.

It is possible with CalculiX: Contact convergence in metal forming simulation - #20 by hkroeger

But normally you would want to use explicit dynamics for that while in CalculiX this could bring multiple issues. So give it a try but don’t be surprised if it turns out that it might be best to switch to a different software (like OpenRadioss meant specifically for explicit dynamics).

indeed OpenRadioss can be good at extreme loading and condition, memory effectiveness also due to explicit solver. However, many Abaqus user reported successfully in this type of analysis using implicit solver. Known actually main problem in CalculiX can be benefit for the future instead of switching to another solver like OpenRadioss. Is the problem in element type selection, part contact, material models or large deformation and wrinkle?

below my first model of similar case, shown convergence is hard to achieved but i did not know the main reasons. Only guessed in material models and distorted part at corner, not in contact