Problem with interface bonded contact

The image shows a model for static analysis (1/4 section of two stacked cylinders). The lateral sides and bottom are frictionless-constrained against normal movement. A negative pressure is applied to the top of the top cylinder. The interface between the two cylinders is bonded. (I will try to post an image link separately.)

Notes –

1. The model was constructed in Mecway FEA. (I can post a link if needed.)
  2. The mesh is the default. (I realize the mesh is rather coarse but I want to resolve, in general, the problem of nodal mismatch at interface surfaces.)
  3. The H200c_static_bonding_static_load.inp file was generated by Mecway FEA. Dropbox - H200c_static_bonding_static_load.inp - Simplify your life

When I run ccx on this inp file I get an error –
*ERROR in cascade: the DOF corresponding to node 306 in direction 1 is detected on the
dependent side of a MPC and a SPC

This error is given in the calculix source code – https://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/software/calculix_v2.7/CalculiX/ccx_2.7/src/cascade.c (search there for “ERROR in cascade: the DOF”).

Node 306 is located at (X,Y,Z) = (0,50,10)mm which is a corner of the bottom surface of the top cylinder at the interface between the two cylinders.

If I delete the constraints on the lateral sides then the analysis finishes but, of course, the results are incorrect.

Since this model’s configuration should not be uncommon, I think there should be a solution. (After resolving for static analysis I would then proceed to modal analysis.)

Thanks,
Don C.

========================================================================

CalculiX Version 2.16, Copyright(C) 1998-2019 Guido Dhondt
CalculiX comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free
software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions, see gpl.htm

You are using an executable made on Sun, Jan 19, 2020 10:23:46 PM

The numbers below are estimated upper bounds

number of:

nodes: 610
elements: 238
one-dimensional elements: 0
two-dimensional elements: 0
integration points per element: 4
degrees of freedom per node: 3
layers per element: 1

distributed facial loads: 37
distributed volumetric loads: 0
concentrated loads: 0
single point constraints: 282
multiple point constraints: 307
terms in all multiple point constraints: 5815
tie constraints: 0
dependent nodes tied by cyclic constraints: 0
dependent nodes in pre-tension constraints: 0

sets: 10
terms in all sets: 569

materials: 2
constants per material and temperature: 2
temperature points per material: 1
plastic data points per material: 0

orientations: 0
amplitudes: 2
data points in all amplitudes: 2
print requests: 0
transformations: 0
property cards: 0

STEP 1

Static analysis was selected

Decascading the MPC’s

*ERROR in cascade: the DOF corresponding to
node 306 in direction 1 is detected on the
dependent side of a MPC and a SPC

========================================================================

Here is the model’s image file –

you get these error if you use the node 2 times.
for example if you use it for boundary and for the bounded contact !?

1 Like

Yes, I understand that may be the problem. However, what is the solution? If I eliminate some of the boundary conditions at the interface (those that interfere with the contact conditions) then the boundary conditions wouldn’t be correct. Alternately, if I eliminate some of the contact conditions at the periphery of the interface (those that interfere with the boundary conditions) then the contact conditions wouldn’t be correct. Potentially I could do one of these by editing the inp file. However, I would first have to identify the offending nodes, probably by clicking on each in the model. This would be extremely tedious, especially where there are a large number of interfaces and a dense mesh (not like this simple model). There must be a better way.

Note that the boundary conditions and bonded contacts were applied by selecting surfaces for application, not by selecting groups of nodes.

You could try a tied surface-surface contact. The penalty stiffness in that case is very high. I think it is written in the documentation.
Kindly regards
Markus

1 Like