Orthotropic Shell/Plate Analysis

Hi Prop_design,

Wow, Thank you very much. That was too much. Thank you. Those files have a lot of interesting details and formulas.

Regarding the *EL FILE,GLOBAL=NO I might be configuring something wrong as I don’t see any difference.
I have to do more testing but seems like the element local axes do not update with the mesh in NONLINEAR. I mean, seems like once stablished, it only translates attached to the node, but I don’t see they are rotating and following the new shape.
¿Is it possible?

I still do not understand how Static is able to capture the Shear so precisely and in the whole length of the plate. Seems like in Static analysis the Local axis were able to adjust to the new curvature rotating the local axis. If not, I can’t understand that precise result. It should fail like Nonlinear as there is almost the same large deformation involved.

I will keep trying. Maybe I have to rotate the Stress Matrix directly on each node and just figure how to compute the right angle.

I haven’t looked into some of the things that you are. So I can’t be of much help. The results I looked at definitely were affected by using GLOBAL=NO. Without, the stress is all crazy. With the mod, the results look fine to me.

Yeah, sorry about all the files. I tried to grab anything that might be useful. Definitely more than what you need. However, there are a number of files in there that should be exactly what you are trying to achieve. With the exception that I wasn’t looking to the level that you are.

If you find a file that seems close to what you want, run it. Then take out the GLOBAL=NO and you will see what I mean.

I don’t recall the specifics of all the various mods you have to do to get CCX to do what you want. I have a cheat sheet in the reference folder. You have to change the mods up depending on what you want to do. Victor provided all the info that I needed. Without him, and Mecway, I would never have been able to use CCX at all.

Hi , I just wanted to thank here to Prop_desgn for the GLOBAL=NO hint.

It works very well for small deformations, and it can perfectly help you JUANP74 to express the Stress Matrix in Local coordinates.

Just keep in mind it doesn’t follow the mesh for large deformations.

Thanks again both. I really feel I have a better understanding of the nonlinear picture.