How to solve membrane element case

Hi all
Now I’m trying the simple membrane element situation. However the simulation doesn’t work(the deformation can be very large).
I am a beginner when it comes to FEM, so I may be making some serious mistakes.

If anyone knows the problem, please let me know.
inp file

This time I created an S6 mesh in Freecad (Gmsh) and modified it as required for membrane element analysis
*SHELL SECTION, ELSET=MaterialSolidElementGeometry2D,.
to
*MEMBRANE SECTION, ELSET=MaterialSolidElementGeometry2D,.

In addition
*Element, TYPE=S6, ELSET=Efaces
to
*Element, TYPE=M3D6, ELSET=Efaces
and then ran the simulation.

Thank you

Membrane elements don’t have bending stiffness. That’s how they differ from shells.

This element is similar to the S6 shell element except that it cannot sustain bending. This is obtained by modelling hinges in each of the end nodes of the element.

you need to consider NLGEOM parameter in STEP keyword, membrane won’t work in a linear analysis. Then use face pressure instead of point loads and I’d recommend a finer mesh. Not guaranteed it will work. Anyway 2 mm for a membrane of an elastic material seems too much.

Thank you for your reply.

Since the mesh geometry of M3D6 and S6 is the same, the .inp file can be used to
** Face elements Element, TYPE=S6, ELSET=Efaces
I thought I just had to change the “**” part in the .inp file, but I guess not?

Yes, you can just replace S6 with M3D6 and SHELL SECTION with MEMBRANE SECTION but you have to keep in mind the special considerations with membrane elements as explained in previous posts. In practice, membrane elements are rarely needed and shell elements are sufficient. Membranes are typically used either for thin layers (“skins”) on solid elements or for extremely thin structures like fabrics.

If you use membrane elements without bending stiffness and with static analysis,
you have to apply prestress , run static analysis, and remove your prestress,
to get results!?

i remember an example with a rectangular cable-membrane tensile structure,
where you apply prestress by temperature, run static analysis,
remove temperature again to get the results

maybe simular like:

or anys verification manual VM153

Calc_em
Thank you for your reply
Yes, I would like to do a final case with loads on tension cones made of fabric.
I usually analyze with shell elements, but I was wondering how the results differ from the results with membrane elements!