Error in simple truss analysis with one element

Hi,
I’m trying to run this simple analysis involving one truss element (fixed at one end, compressed at the other one) in CalculiX:

*Node
1, 0, 0, 0
2, 55, 0, 0
*Element, type=T3D2, elset=all
1, 1, 2
*Nset, nset=Set-1
1, 2
*Elset, elset=Set-1
*Solid Section, elset=all, material=Material-1
*Nset, nset=fix
*Nset, nset=load
*Material, name=Material-1
*Elastic
2., 0.3
*Boundary
fix, 1, 6
*Step
*Static
*Cload
load, 1, -1.
*EL PRINT,ELSET=all,FREQUENCY=100
S,E
*NODE FILE,OUTPUT=3D
U
*EL FILE
S,NOE,E
*End Step

But I get this error:

error

To make sure that it’s not a modeling error, I submitted the same input file in Abaqus and got correct results. Am I missing some special characteristic of truss elements in ccx ?

Change fix, 1, 6 to fix, 1, 3. No bending for T3D2.

2 Likes

Right, it works. Thank you :slight_smile: Apparently, Abaqus handles those redundant boundary conditions differently.

1 Like

Hi,

I’have observed weird results on that beam under compression.
It is the same file posted but once refined.
When using ccx_dynamic.exe for windows both pardiso and Pastix gives weird results.
¿May i have some missing dll. Does it happen to someone else?

hi,

above example are for truss element, so it does not required mesh to be refined. only use one element mesh betwen each joint of connected members. spliting and refining mesh may cause stability problem and spurious movement since each element end nodes become hinged.

best

Again, it seems to be handled differently by various solvers. In Abaqus there’s no such spurious deformation in this example when multiple truss elements are used.

Thanks Suyono

Un Saludo/Best Regards

Changing the force direction also fails.
I have build and refine a truss with a mass at the end expecting it to behave as a pendulumm (chain) but it fails so it should not be exactly a hinged connection.

hi,

you could try changie and use the element to B31R rather than T3D2 to avoid any unexpected behaviour due to unstable structure problems. even it’s a beam element the bending effect did not take into account, these beam are expanded to C3D8R element with only one integration point.

best,