2D AutoCAD DXF to CalculiX GraphiX FBD converters

hi,

i make a tool utilities, an converter of 2D AutoCAD DXF to CalculiX GraphiX FBD files called dxf2fbd (password: calculix.discourse.group). this small code modification and adaptation are based on works of David Colignon from GMSH source codes.

current features:

• support lines, arch & circle objects
  • a circle will be split automatically to four arch objects
  • Z-offset to place at some elevation
  • merge coincident nodes with a coordinate tolerances

Hopes it will be useful to create base of geometry to extrude or revolve in making of three dimensional models.

thank you for your interest,

1 Like

Please, register on the GitHub. It would be cool if you could publish your amazing converter on the https://github.com/calculix group. Let me know if you’d like to join the group.

2 Likes

Hello xyont,
thank you for making your converter available. Your converter runs probably only on windows. Would it be possible for you to make it available on linux? And I would say that Mr. Mirzov’s proposal of using his github location is a good idea since no login would be necessary to download from that location.

Klaus

hi imirzov,
here’s my GitHub account links.

hi klaus.wittig,
the converter not depends to any external libraries, it should be simply and straight forward to compile on Linux OS.

thank you,

Hi xyont,

Invitation sent, please, approve it. Then in your ‘dxf2fbd’ project go to Settings -> Options -> Danger Zone -> Transfer ownership. Click on ‘Transfer’ button, then type ‘calculix’ as user. Project will move to Calculix organization. All your permissions will be kept, so do not afraid. Old URL will be kept also, new URL will be github.com/calculix/dxf2fbd.

hi imirzov,

i’m new in GitHub, but seems it has been done as suggested.

thank you,

Yep! Welcome to CalculiX on GitHub!

Dear xyont,
I just downloaded it from GitHub and compiled it on linux. It worked well with your example!

Thanks,
Klaus

Just a hint:
You can mesh the geometry after you created a surface, optionally increased the divisions and assigned an element type.
div all mult 10
qsur
a // ‘all’ mode
r r // rectangle which covers all lines
l // select all lines
g // generate
plus sa all
elty all tr6u
mesh all
plus f all

2 Likes

hi, great to see CGX can auto detected inner holes boundary.

is above result (tr6u) generated auto by Tetgen mesher? i try to reproduce using another simpler models. for now i seek quad dominate by Netgen mesher, reading the documentation it has not implemented yet. since qu8 perform better (CCX docs) is it possible in CGX for the next future?

many thanks,

No, you need the tetgen or netgen mesher only for generating tets. And so far it is not planned to implement a qu8 auto-mesher. You would have to subdivide the structure in four sided surfaces and use the regular mesher (qu8).

This is a great converter.
I was wondering if there is any such for the reverse, I.e. from .fbd to other CAD format?

thanks are due to David Colignon and previous implementations, here I’m only makes a small modification to adapt with CalculiX.

translate or convert back of fbd files to dxf seems not an easy task. may possible only with some external libraries cause of dxf complexity itself. these problem can be reduce with another methods using generate script files, to be honest not all CAD software supported these file types.